Thursday, August 19, 2021

Cardiac Rehab is Underway

 Last week I began Cardiac Rehab at the Advent Health Wellness Center , why I am in Cardiac rehab on my July 21st I had two stents put into my heart artery to clear a blockage, there are two blockages in my carotid arteries but before they can put in stents a neurosurgeon has to sign off on the procedure so for now I will see how the blood thinners work.

The week before I started the rehab  I went for the initial evaluation where height and weight Blood Pressure and a few simple exercises were used for evaluation so a plan can be made and the doctor could sign off on it before I got started.  The exercise was simple, do as many dumbbell curls as I could in 30 seconds-15, get up and sit down in a chair for 30 seconds-11 and walk 8 feet back to the starting point. All the while wearing a heart monitor, which I wear during my sessions.  

The first day I arrived at Noon and before I knew it I was hooked up to a little heart monitor that I wore in a pouch around my neck.  Blood pressure was checked and then it was onto this beast of a machine.

Which wasn’t a beast at all, it is a recumbent cross trainer and for thirty odd minutes I did a mix of legs/arms, just arms and then just legs.  I forgot to bring my little notebook to log what I am doing but I do remember.  I managed 15 minutes arms and legs moving together, than 9 minutes just moving the arms back and forth, and then 11 minutes just legs,  I was just starting to sweat when it was time to stop.   I am sure I am going to feel it later today and tomorrow but that’s fine with me just moving more in a monitored environment has given me a confidence boost, I realize last week when I did a 30 minute walk at the park how nervous I was walking. 

On the days I don't have a session at the Wellness Center for rehab I will take a walk in one of the local parks to keep the momentum of movement so that once I am working out on a regular schedule again I will have worked through those beginning aches and pains.

I found a new to me magazine Saturday when I was checking out at the local Earth Fare store. I came home and read it cover to cover. I liked it so much I subscribed to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment