Thursday, April 30, 2015

What I am reading this week

For the 2015 Witches & Witchcraft challenge this week I am reading Katherine Howe's The Psysick Book of Deliverence Dane.
I didn’t know anything about this book, I fell for the book cover then I read the summary and it peaked my interest. It has magic, witches and Salem. The perfect read for the witches & witchcraft challenge, Here’s a small summary:


“Harvard graduate student Connie Goodwin needs to spend her summer doing research for her doctoral dissertation. But when her mother asks her to handle the sale of Connie’s grandmother’s abandoned home near Salem, she can’t refuse. As she is drawn deeper into the mysteries of the family house, Connie discovers an ancient key within a seventeenth-century Bible. The key contains a yellowing fragment of parchment with a name written upon it: Deliverance Dane. This discovery launches Connie on a quest–to find out who this woman was and to unearth a rare artifact of singular power: a physick book, its pages a secret repository for lost knowledge”



I have to say this book really caught me by surprise, I found myself turning page after page. The novel moves between contemporary times and one of the disturbing periods in American history – the Salem witch trials. This book moves solidly and tensely through a series of events, building suspense and anticipation, feeding us tidbits of what is to come and making it impossible to set the book down.

For more information on the Witches and Witchcraft challenge here is a link
http://melissaseclecticbookshelf.com/2015-witches-witchcraft-reading-challenge-sign-up-post/


No comments:

Post a Comment